This is a reminder that our Family Life and Sexual Health (FLASH) unit will be coming up this spring. This is an approximately two week unit design to:
1. Provide pupils with the knowledge and skills necessary to protect their sexual and reproductive health from HIV and other sexually transmitted infections and from unintended pregnancy.
2. Provide pupils with the knowledge and skills they need to develop healthy attitudes concerning adolescent growth and development, body image, gender, sexual orientation, relationships, marriage, and family.
3. Promote understanding of sexuality as a normal part of human development.
4. Ensure pupils receive integrated, comprehensive, accurate, and unbiased sexual health and HIV prevention instruction and provide educators with clear tools and guidance to accomplish that end.
5. Provide pupils with the knowledge and skills necessary to have healthy, positive, and safe relationships and behaviors.
State law allows parents/guardians to opt their student out of any or all comprehensive sexual health education lessons. Students opting out of comprehensive sexual health education lessons will be provided alternate curriculum under the supervision of a credentialed teacher.
If you do not want your student to participate in comprehensive sexual health education, you must provide, in writing (email or on paper), a note to your student’s teacher no later than April 28th.
Dates for the FLASH unit are:
7th Grade: May 8 – 19
8th Grade: May 22 – June 9 * (*Dates are extended to accommodate for end of school activities)
Please note that this is a fact-based class. We will recognize that there may be a wide range of values and beliefs about those topics and we hope that this course will encourage a conversation at home regarding your cultural and family values.
See the attached English and Chinese versions.
Horner Jr. High School
(510) 656-4000 ex 48109